Hunter education safety requirements
The New Mexico Department of Game and fish requires anyone under the age of 18 to complete a State approved Hunter Education Course in order to apply for or purchase a firearms hunting license in the State of New Mexico.
Become a safe hunter
The purpose of hunter education is to develop knowledge, skills, and behaviors necessary to become safe, responsible hunters.
The online course
Typically, students meet these needs by attending a traditional, instructor led course including classroom lectures and field/range experiences. In today's society, students have less free time to devote to attending a hunter education course. Online hunter education courses help address this, by allowing students to take hunter safety courses on their own time, at their own pace and in the comfort of their home or office.
You may ask
FAQ - New Mexico Hunting Safety Course and Hunting License
- Is the Beasafehunter hunter course approved by the state of New Mexico?
No. We are not approved yet.
- Is there a minimum age to take this online education course?
- Yes, you must be at least 10 years of age to take the online Hunter Education Course.
- Is my Hunter Education Certificate good in other states?
Every U.S. state that demands a Hunter Education Certificate will accept Hunter Education Certificates from other states that conform to IHEA requirements as well.
You should follow your safety course in the State where you are resident.
- Does the Hunter Card expire?
No. It is good for life.
- Who is required to take the Hunter Education course in New Mexico?
Hunter Education is required for anyone under the age of 18 prior to hunting with a firearm, purchasing or applying for a firearms hunting license. Bowhunter Education is not mandatory, but is highly recommended.
- What types of New Mexico Hunting Licenses are available?
View the full list of New Mexico Hunting Licenses available through the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish.